I was fortunate to shoot with the all-new Lensbaby Velvet 85 F1.8 that was released a few weeks ago. As many of you know I love the Lensbaby lineup especially the velvet line. I have to tell you the all new 85 is no slouch. The build quality is amazing, the lens is sharp when you need it and dreamy when you want it. A number of looks that you can get from this lens make it one of the most versatile pieces in my bag. Below are some shots that I took this week during a photo walk and around the area.
My first impression of this lens is how well it is constructed. This lens feels solid in the hands, it is easy to and smooth to focus and the aperture ring on the barrel makes it easy to get several different looks in minutes. This is a GREAT portrait lens that also doubles as a pretty good macro lens as you can see in the photos below.
Please click on the images for best resolution
Lensbaby Velvet 85 Example Images
I would definitely recommend this lens to anyone that likes the dreamy look that the line gives us or someone who wants a tack sharp manual focus 85mm.
- Features 85 mm focal length, f/1.8-16 aperture and 1:2 macro capabilities
- Has the ethereal glow and crisp vintage look of the 56 but for a portrait-friendly focal length
- Builds on 56’s ability to create buttery smooth skin tones with the added compression and beautiful bokeh found in high-quality 85mm lenses
- Shoot at bright apertures to create soft, dreamy images with underlying sharpness and detail
- Stop down to darker apertures to capture a classic, film-like quality in your portraits
- Evokes the image style and construction quality of classic portrait lenses of the mid-20th century
- Features the heft and smooth, dampened manual focus of early lenses in an all-metal lens body
- Designed for Nikon, Sony, Canon, Micro 4/3